Friday, November 2, 2012

Making the Leap

Today has been a long time coming.  I have extended the lifespan of Ubuntu 9.10 well beyond Canonical's support and I feel that with the strides Ubuntu has made, it's worth the leap.  I designed my work desktop computer so that I could easily backup my stuff and upgrade without much woes, but because of laziness on my part, I've been putting off that for a while.  Before I knew it, 9.10 had reached its end in terms of Canonical support.  Just like my old trusty Gutsy 7.10 install on my laptop, I was falling into the same trap of staying on an old system.  This time, hopefully, I stay true to the design goal and keep Ubuntu updated.  With Ubuntu 13 aiming towards gaming (thanks to Valve), it should be an interesting ride for sure.

I had a few external hard disk scares last night as I was backing up my stuff.  I swear Seagate products have gotten lousy through the years.  Thankfully I have more than one drive to back my office stuff up.  Smooth start to the transition, right?  I thought so.

Next up was booting Ubuntu 12.10 and not detecting my network card.  Cool.  Thankfully, I saw a link on Ubuntu's forums about a glitch where you need to set the network boot as the first booting device from the bios.  The tip didn't work in the forum thread, but it sure damn worked for me.

Now, I've clicked install and the disc is taking a while to read.  I hope I manage to get the upgrade or all the work will be for naught.  I'll post again when something significant happens.

No comments: