Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thoughts on Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory DS

I finally got through this game and it sure is a respectable port though it definitely has some serious issues. It's tough to get around with the frame rate issues and the overly complicated controls, but if you find yourself forgiving enough, you might stumble upon some fun in it.

From a controls point of view, it's bad enough that the game demands you use the entire DS for just about everything. It's really difficult to wrap your mind around controlling Sam Fisher on it and being a lefty makes things even worse. Unfortunately for us lefties, the game is only designed for right-handed players. Controlling the camera while moving Sam was a chore. Eventually, I figured something workable for me. By placing the thumb strap (remember that from the old DS?) on the index finger of my right hand, I could manipulate the camera like using a touchpad of a laptop while having the stylus ready with my left hand for the lock picking parts. Fortunately, because Splinter Cell is a deliberately slow-paced game, having to change gripping positions for camera and the action buttons doesn't penalize me.

Having that out of the way though doesn't put you in the clear. There's so many game glitches and the frame rate is very atrocious. The game even refuses to save on the final checkpoint of the game! All annoyance aside, I had a good time with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory but I certainly wouldn't recommend this game for purchase. Rent this game first before deciding!

No comments: