Monday, August 8, 2011

It's fixed! libGL confusion!

After some searching, I began to understand the nature of the problem more. Basically, the build-dep pulled in a truck load of libraries for me to build Wine and one of them slipped this in:
/usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1.2

nvidia has their own libGL.so.1 that sits in /usr/lib but no matter what I did, ldconfig insists on using the latest version (and gets it wrong) by asserting the use of the mesa one. So, even though nvidia starts up just fine, the library it's using is wrong. That means that I don't get the hardware acceleration at all. Lesson learned.

For now, I created a .usr_lib_mesa folder and dumped libGL.so.1.2 in it so that if I ever need it, I can put it back. But immediately after removing it and having ldconfig rebuild, everything has been fine. The games run and glxinfo is now reporting what it needs to.

Goodness!

Credit to this post.

No comments: