Monday, August 8, 2011

Oops! Black Screen of Death!

I didn't realize how much my build-dep istall messed up my system until after a reboot when I was greeted by a black screen with a mouse pointer after logging in from GDM. It took a while to figure out what exactly happened and I've also read people blaming PulseAudio for their cases.

Mine, as it turns out, is a different issue. It seems that after all the installing and backporting of Wine, Compiz broke down and everytime I try to start it up, it goes to a black screen. I was ever a huge fan of Compiz/Beryl because the desktop effects just seems useless to me. I was able to fix it by going to Failsafe Gnome Session and then selecting the appearance not to use any desktop effects. I may go around to looking at why Compiz broke, but as for now, I'm just happy to get my desktop back.

Update:
It seems that it's much more serious than I thought. My nvidia drivers, even though they are loading up fine, is not giving me direct rendering. Going to try and install the latest nvidia-glx to see if it helps...

No comments: