Thursday, January 27, 2011

Just backported Pidgin 2.7.9 on... Gutsy!

I find it very funny that I'm too freaking lazy to upgrade my Ubuntu install on my Acer laptop. It's stuck on Gutsy Gibbon which is really ages ago. When MSN stopped working, I just knew eventually I would have to roll up my sleeves and cut myself a custom release.

I got the pidgin source packages from Ubuntu Natty (I believe) and rebuilt the damn thing. What is impressive is that it's taken me a very short time to get this working. I took painstaking time rebuilding dependencies of Pidgin for my previous backporting effort so it seems that the pidgin releases match those dependencies more.

I only fixed the control files to match the versions I have and changes compat to 4 (5 will probably work). Then on rules, I disabled video and voice (I am so not going to backport the gstreamer libraries!).

A couple of minutes later, I have pidgin 2.7.9 on Gutsy and it's worked like a charm.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OT: saw your post on gfaqs about Marvel Trading Card Game for DS.

wanna play online?

email me and we'll swap friendcodes...

nashwerner [ a] gmail.com