Saturday, January 15, 2011

Don King's Prizefighter: Andrew Golota vs Buster Dog

A couple of hours ago, I entertained the thought of giving myself an interesting bout on Don King's Prizefighter for the DS. For most of my time playing the game, I've used my created boxer, Buster Dog to mow down the opposition. Being the strongest boxer in the game with decent skills overall, I figured it would be more interesting this time around if the tables were turned against me. Specifically, a boxer of my choosing versus Buster Dog.

In choosing the boxer I would use, I wanted to use one who would have very standard statistics if not underpowered in comparison to this fictional boxer. Once I bumped into Andrew Golota and checked the statistics 2k had given him, I knew the match was set.

It would be Andrew Golota vs Buster Dog, 12 rounds in the Trump Taj Mahal. I set the difficulty to 'Hard' knowing that using any boxer other than my customized ones, it would provide an interesting challenge.

When the first round came, I was in for some highly intense combinations and I did not expect anything less. Buster Dog gave me all I could chew and then more. None of my punches would hurt and he would slip in some slick combinations that left Golota stunned for most of the round. I made a critical error in trying to beat him to the punch thinking my jabs would disrupt his attacks opening up some combinations. Suffice to say that I paid the price dearly with one knockdown in his favour.

Much of the opening two rounds were the same as I tried to figure out what I could do to stop this monster from completely annihilating me. Eventually I started to find my own rhythm, fighting much smarter and moving away when I could. I believe it was the third round that I manage to get a knockdown of my own, a clear sign that this was going to be a war.

I tried to fight as smart as I could and learned a few more as I went to deeper waters. Buster was not slowing down in spite of the two knockdowns I have given him. There were rare instances where I hurt him bad enough to see him cover up, but many times I could not capitalize those instances. At the same time however, I had kept my defense as best as I could and manage to scupper much of his assault, save for two critical errors, giving Buster two rounds via knockdowns.

At the last few rounds, I decided that if I tried to keep trying to knock Buster out, I would get a few my way. Struggling in survival mode, I decided that even though I probably have lost the fight on the judge's cards, it was worth a shot to try and outbox Buster and force a decision.

The final bell rung to end round 12 of this thrilling war. In an instant, the judge's rendered their decision and surprised was I from the scoring that I just could not let this pass without some photographs.






You read it right. Buster Dog won the fight though from the judge's cards, I would have figured it would have been a majority draw instead. A part of me feels that had I fought smarter in the first two rounds, I may have squeaked it out. Regardless of the outcome, I had a great time with this bout as well as learned a few things should I go for another match of this kind.

Another screenshot below for the statistics of the bout. You decide who fought the better fight.





No comments: