Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Git sucks...

For a while I've been using cvs and then moved to subversion for my programming needs. Two years ago, give or take... the team I work with decided to move to Git and it's been a love/hate relationship ever since.

For the most part, every time I try to use git's much praised branching abilities have been met with tragic consequences. For the past year, I've kept an ultra conservative work style with git that has worked for me for the most part.

Lately, I've been trying to expand the work to use more of git and like always, it's been a real pain. This much touted feature on branching has always, and I emphasize always, lead me to conflict resolutions even if the files I have a conflict to resolve does not involve any of the commits from other programmers. As the branch I create get more complicated, the more time I spend trying to merge the work I do with the current code snapshot. This is utterly stupid.

It does not end there. Git seems to literally drop what it's doing when coming across errors while moving to a new remote branch creating a totally weird branch snapshot. I've had years worth of commits disappear in the source tree I'm working on leaving me wondering what the hell just happened. Then I have to roll up my sleeves and try to fix the mess that git left behind.

Git works when I am just trying to code something and commit. Anything else, it's been a tragic mess. Git sucks... for me.

No comments: