Monday, April 15, 2013

WPA and the Ralink RT73 USB driver

After many years of using WEP security with MAC address filters so I could accommodate my old DS and my (dead) Zaurus to use online connectivity, I decided to make the switch to WPA-Personal with the same MAC address filters.  This is when I discovered that the Ralink RT73 USB drivers has an issue when the router does the WPA group rekey.  It seems that as soon as the router switches the secret keys, the device has trouble coping with the connection.  The connection becomes unstable and it seems that I have to disconnect and reconnect to my access point to get a stable connection.  I am still digging information on what to do about this and I want to avoid ndiswrapper as much as possible.

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 13b1:0020 Linksys WUSB54GC v1 802.11g Adapter [Ralink RT73]

and here's the entry in my /var/log/syslog

wpa_supplicant[1060]: wlan0: WPA: Group rekeying completed [mac address] [GTK=TKIP]

No comments: