Saturday, January 26, 2013

Setting up my new laptop...

I bought the HP Pavilion G4-2123TX and so far, it's been great.  Most of the hardware seem to work out of the box.  The only sticking point thus far has been AMD which continues to be an absolute failure of a company in the Linux world.  I half-expected AMD graphics drivers to suck on Linux, but had hoped that Valve's Linux push would mean decent fglrx releases.  I was wrong.  So wrong.

When I installed my Ubuntu 12.10 on my desktop running nVIDIA hardware, the process was relatively painless.  There's a few hoops for sure, but everything worked fine afterwards.  Well, AMD is a truly a POS when it comes to Linux support.  I've tried to install the kernel headers, and configured their fglrx drivers repeatedly and it only produced issues.  Way to go Ubuntu and AMD.  It's apparently a known issue, and one that hasn't been solved until now.  Seriously.

No comments: