Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A New Laptop for a New Year

The Great Hunt is on.  With my old faithful Acer Aspire on its last breaths, I felt that I needed to look for a new laptop that provided me with some performance and portability plus comes with a blank OS or Ubuntu pre-installed.   This is a tough order as most machines here come with Microsoft stuff tacked on.  I found a reasonably priced Lenovo G480 that comes with no OS and while I feel like I could roll the dice for this machine, I've read threads about its compatibility woes with Ubuntu, at least with 12.04.

All this has made me go through Ubuntu's rather useless site of certified hardware.  The website is rather useless when it comes to searching for performance equipment, so I had to do some Google magic on it.  My preliminary list of target hardware are:

i7 CPUs

i5 CPU Laptop
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530

Ubuntu friendly just don't cut the mustard anymore for me.  I'm looking to zip and go so I'm hoping to see what the machine specs are.  Hopefully they are sold here without an OS too!

No comments: