Thursday, May 17, 2012

Android ICS Irritation: Application Not Responding

I started getting some slow downs with my last few days of Honeycomb.  Launching apps had gotten generally slower.  The stock browser paused damn too much.  Everything was becoming a painful experience for me.  With that, I looked up Elixir 2 and Lookup Ad Detection to figure out just what was happening.  No matter how much I inspected the 'top' command output, I couldn't see anything that was really causing a bottleneck.  I then looked up the ad network apps that were in my system.  It was there I realized that there's a chock full of these that come with your freebie games.  Without hesitation, I proceeded to zap away the multitude of freebie apps that were hooked up in these ads.  Truth be told, I don't know which one did it, to be honest, but I could definitely sense a good change in speed.  It wasn't enough though.

After the ICS update, things were a little snappier but not to the extent I had hoped.  I looked deeper into and weeded out a lot of what I could.  The freebie games I did play I kept while everything else that I didn't remotely play went out of the window.  Last three app fatalities were Dungeon Hunter 3, Real Football 2012 and GetJar.  I somewhat produced some enjoyment in DH3 and RF2012 , so it was a shame to see them all go.  Things were getting fast, but the stock browser was still damn slow.

I then decided to download Chrome BETA to see what a fast browser could do, and it was approximately as fast as I thought the stock browser was when I first got my tablet.  So instead of ditching the stock browser and switching to Chrome, I decided to look into what the browser was doing wrong.  What I did was clear up all the cache and cookies.  Everything that could go went.  I then read somewhere that changing the Plugin Settings to On Demand instead of Always On should about do the trick.  The end result?  A very fast and snappy browser.  For a while now, I have endured those Browser Not Responding ICS message everytime the stock browser has to load flash objects that I didn't damn care about.  Seeing a really fast browser is definitely something I'm happy about.

No comments: