Saturday, January 7, 2012

Update on Wine and Sniper - Ghost Warrior

Having read through a bit more debugging channels with dsound and alsa, I've figured that the game is using mmdevapi to scan through the different possible devices in /dev/snd/ to see which one to use. This bit is very interesting as it seems that after scanning each of the hardware and opening plughw:0,1 device correctly, it attempts to reopen it to play the sound and that is when it gets the device or resoure busy error. I wonder if Wine currently honors the Alsa Driver registry settings enumerated in a forum post I found on archlinux.

[Software\\Wine\\Alsa Driver] #disable auto scan sound card "AutoScanCards"="N"  #specify number of output device "DeviceCount"="1" #point it to your hw number "DeviceCTLn"="hw:1" #same as above "DevicePCMn"="hw:1" #optional: direct hardware interface "UseDirectHW"="Y"

I'm pretty sure at some point this was still honored but I didn't see whether or not Wine still looks for this (a simple grep should suffice, I suppose).

No comments: