Sunday, September 15, 2013

Random Thoughts: Dragon Age, LA Noire, and more...

Another edition of the Random Thoughts for me and it kicks off with Dragon Age: Origins.  I've finally gone through all the extra content the game had to offer.  I had played through Awakening, Golem of Amgarrak, Witch Hunt as the last pieces of unfinished business on that game.  So, here I am to ramble a bit.

BioWare makes quality narrative experiences.  They are really good at plying this trade, but something is amiss with these ones.   Awakening was a fairly bland trot through Amaranthine for me and the main story on the Architect bore me to tears.  The party mates didn't fair any better where the only true source of charm being Oghren (unsurprisingly).  Equally aggravating was the bugs I got that kept me from completing quests like Sigrun's joining.  When I was tasked with non-main plot related items, I was much happier though.  Somewhere in there is that renowned BioWare writing.  It just didn't click, I suppose.

Golems of Amgarrak was my next one and that one really, really stunk to kingdom come.  There's so little else to do but kill monsters and I stumbled upon a nasty, nasty bug that killed my game, forcing me to go back to a previous save.  Blasted bugs!  DLCs with nothing but killing is nothing new though as I did go through Return to Ostagar and Warden's Keep and while both have combat all the way through, they had very good story content to keep you hooked.  Golems sucked and was very, very difficult.  Screw that one.

Witch Hunt was short and sweet.  Nothing but a primer for things to come... (Dragon Age: Inquisition, anyone?)  I'd like to see more but before I knew it, the ending credits already started rolling.  Ah well...

Dragon Age was a very good experience over all.  It had incredible content and some pitfalls along the way.  The base game alone is worth it to play through and everything on the side is an acquired taste.

Playing Dragon Age 2 demo right after was interesting to say the least.  I already played this demo before Origins and the demo has more meaning now.  I also noticed how dramatically different the combat is.  I'm not going to judge it just yet.  It's fast, snappy and to me an interesting change over Origin's methodical and tactical play.  Hmmm...

For months, years, and many hours of play, I tried to like Bastion.  My good friend talked me into playing it and after much play, I've concluded that I just don't like this game.  I don't like the gameplay and combat.  I don't like the narrator that rants on everything that happens.  I don't like that the story is almost non-existent.  It's like a castrated version of Torchlight, with the added guy falling off the level bit.  Whatever...

Now, I'm going through two games.  LA Noire which I have now managed to hook up with a gamepad, and Mass Effect 2.  I didn't play Mass Effect 1 but know enough of it from the 360 play through.  I hope gibbed's save editor allows me to cut a few corners!  

My experience on LA Noire has been very good so far.  The Vista laptop can barely run it, but everything works so far.  Hope it stays that way.


No comments: