Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Autodesk Sketchbook Express Workflow

This entry is primarily for archiving my techniques for finger painting on my Android device using Autodesk Sketchbook Express which I have learned to really like.  It is a shame that my WIP files are lost with my tablet's demise, but I still have a few of my works saved.  More of the guide after the jump.


Primary tools are the 2 Airbrush tips.  One has a thicker wider spread while the other one is more focused.  I used the focused airbrush to make my line work while I use the thicker one for the tones and shades.  Sorry, I don't know their actual tool names.  They are the silver-looking tipped tools.
My Primary Tools
  1. Build the basic line work.  This is a rough pass over what I want from the drawing.
  2. Clean up work.  On a separate layer, start doing cleaner lines over the rough sketch.  Drop the opacity of the rough sketch to make it easier to work with.  Adjust on the fly for anatomical fixes and such.  Zooming in helps a lot to make the work accurate, but always zoom out and check the sketch.
  3. Greyscale shading.  Use the thicker airbrush and always keep the work black and white.  Do not worry about the black smudge you are painting over the work.  Focus on one bit and drop the opacity of the shading as low as possible that will give it the look you want.  More importantly, work over your shaded layers and merge them as separate layers from the cleaned sketch layer.
  4. Repeat and play with opacity.  You want to build a nice greyscale shaded work that blends and gives form to the cleaned sketch.  Add as many layers as you feel you need to and drop the opacity.  You can also use the focused airbrush to give more emphasis on specific shading like eyelids, face wrinkles, etc.
  5. Work on the colour using the thicker airbrush.  Remember to use opacity and put the coloured layer OVER the greyscale layer.  You can probably merge the linework and the greyscale shading at this point.
  6. Background shading and final adjustments.
Getting around the 3 layer limitation.  Simply save a new copy of the work in a different file and merge layers a lot.  Last advice is PRACTICE.

No comments: