Friday, November 4, 2011

DC Universe Online

I'll keep this very brief. DCUO has just gone Free to Play and seeing as one of my buddies is so addicted into this game he doesn't even go online on chat anymore. I tried my hand and saw if the game worked on Wine.

Basically, the winehq entry says it works and I simply followed the instructions to install ie8, xact and vcrun2005 using winetricks. The installer is freely available on DCUO's website and it only installs a launchpad program that will grab the actual game. For the most part, the installer installs all other prerequisites like flash. When the installer runs, it fails in Wine dropping into the debugger, but this didn't stop the installer from proceeding. I guess no harm done.

I had a problem with the launchpad program because it wouldn't get me the actual login. The forums discussion on it helps a lot as it told me to edit the Launchpad-user.ini to add the 'curtain=disable' setting.

One 14.1 GB download later, the game is up and running. The mouse implementation is pretty bad, but otherwise, it runs fine. I'm not sure if it's a Wine issue or a game issue, but be warned when playing.

Anyway, it seems like a generic MMO with lots of killing. *Yawn*

2 comments:

jeremywininger said...

What video card are you using? I'm having all kinds of trouble getting DCUO working on my ATI card, although it works fine for WoW.

Anonymous Dimwit said...

Hi, I'm using an nVIDIA GeForce 9500. I read on Wine that fglrx may have issues with the game. No models were being rendered, so I take it that the game doesn't work with ATi cards right now.