Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ack! More backporting!

Man, one website that I use for work has decided to block me from using it because my browsers are too old. Google Chrome doesn't seem to support Ubuntu 9.10 and Firefox is just too old. I'm not a fan of downloading Firefox from the website if I can get the deb packages to work. I think you know where this is heading.

Yes, I decided to yank Firefox8 from the launchpad ppa and do my own backporting to Karmic. You can get the packages I used here. I did the usual to prep up my build machine and I also double checked the control files just to make sure nothing was wrong. I thought the versions of the libraries was fine and hoped this would be a painless exercise, but that wasn't to be.

Building the deb package, I realized that apt-get build-dep for Karmic missed out the following.
  • libcurl4-openssl-dev
  • xvfb
  • imagemagick
  • yasm-1 (>= 1.1)
The three of them I could install just fine, but I found yasm-1 to be an oddity as I'm pretty sure yasm packages were built without the -1 suffix. I decided to take the risk and build it too hoping it's not too much of a big deal. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: