Wednesday, May 27, 2015

FGLRX Issues and Linux Mint

After installing Linux Mint 17.1 on my HP laptop, I noticed that the fglrx-updates package doesn't detect my AMD display drivers.  That's very disappointing but there's no release notes for the Catalyst driver yet (15.3?).  So, I'm not certain if AMD is supposed to drop support for the 7xxM series.  To install fglrx, I had to use the regular fglrx release from Linux Mint.

Then, of course, the Ubuntu fglrx issue dual monitor hit me hard with the flickering desktop.  Sheesh.  From my additional research however, I've found this blurb from the Arch Linux article.
When using a PowerXpress laptop in AMD-only mode (ie, setting the discrete card to render everything) you sometimes run into issues with artifacting/duplicating between displays. This is a known issue, and seems to effect 7xxxM series cards.
The artifacting disappears when you transform one of the monitors by either rotating or scaling. So you can use xrandr to fix this
So, I used the xrandr command they supplied and massaged it to my own case and came up with this:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --primary --mode 1366x768 --pos 0x0 --scale 1.0001x1.0001 --output VGA1 --right-of LVDS1 --scale 1x1 --mode 1024x768
This is not quite what I was hoping for as the second screen seems to display one half of my first monitor display.  After playing around with xrandr, I found the command that would fix it here.
xrandr --output LVDS1 --primary --mode 1366x768 --pos 0x0 --output VGA1 --right-of LVDS1 --scale 1.0001x1.0001 --mode 1024x768
The other caveat on Linux Mint seems to be the installation of the bcm4313 drivers, but that's easy to resolve.

No comments: