Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dabbling on Mono and SyntaxBox

My friend and I were working on a few programming projects on the side and he spoke about his sources being in .Net.  Ugh.  Okay, I guess that makes Mono my only option.  And, unfortunately, SyntaxBox, the control he's using, isn't really 100% managed code.

So, what I did was pull in the mono packages that I would use.  I didn't know what to apt-get, so I just got these:

sudo apt-get install mono-xbuild
sudo apt-get install monodevelop
sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs

These seem to get most of the stuff including the soft debugger.  Then I installed subversion to checkout the source.  I also poked at previous efforts on getting it to run on Mono.  Correcting the cases is just the start of it and I got to the exact same crash point.

Looking at the source code for this crash: System.EntryPointNotFoundException: GetDC made me realize that the code was depending on a bunch of Windows dlls for its Native functions.  There's a slew of them, but all of them can be found on NativeMethods.cs.  If I'm going to have any chance of porting this, I'd need to write the code for these.  (Wonder if Wine's implementation gives clues...)

There's a first time for everything, and I always wanted to dabble in Mono.  Should be interesting.

No comments: