Friday, February 8, 2013

HP Pavilion G4-2123TX and the Realtek Card Reader

So, it looks like I found a missing driver on Ubuntu 12.10 for the Realtek card reader that came with my new laptop.  lspci identifies the device as Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01).

Apparently there are quite a few bug tickets (here and here) that talk about that.  Furthermore, it looks like Realtek has already released the drivers and one forum thread discusses how to install it.  Apparently even linux-next has the drivers already.  So when is this support finally coming??

I know how to compile drivers, but I ain't doing it.  It's a headache considering that Ubuntu keeps changing drivers and I have to recompile them to make them work.  No thank you.  Maybe it's about time I read up how dkms works though...

No comments: