Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tomb Raider: Underworld and Wine: Update

Well, I've been fiddling with this for some time and have seemingly fixed some of the audio issues I have.  Nope, not by using pasuspender which did absolutely nothing for me.  I started trying to use padsp but strange enough the padsp/oss combination doesn't work.

First thing I did was remove audio from the equation to see how the game genuinely worked in my system.  The game stuttered quite a bit so I had to bring down the effects.  I think most of the slowdowns had to do with shadows but for documentation sake, I ran with a resolution of 1920 by 1080 with "Enable Fullscreen Effects" and "Enable Water Effects".  My texture detail was high and texture filtering was trilinear.

When I got the game reasonably running well (or tolerable), I began to fiddle once again with my user.reg.  Here is what I came up with.

[Software\\Wine\\DirectSound]
"DefaultBitsPerSample"="16"
"DefaultSampleRate"="44100"
"EmulDriver"="N"
"HardwareAcceleration"="Full"

[Software\\Wine\\Drivers]
"Audio"="alsa"

[Software\\Wine\\Drivers\\winealsa.drv]
"DefaultOutput"="{0.0.0.00000000}.{B55AC68F-A179-4DC1-BD39-199D8419B343}"
"DefaultVoiceOutput"="{0.0.0.00000000}.{B55AC68F-A179-4DC1-BD39-199D8419B343}"

The winealsa.drv registry settings points to my digital out from HDMI.  I suppose that makes some sense.

I then ran the game: WINEPREFIX="/homedir/.local/share/wineprefixes/tru" wine path\\to\\tru.exe

Truth be told, I don't know why padsp is needed here (or if it is really needed at all!).  I will likely try it without the padsp wrapper to see if setting the winealsa.drv devices is enough.

I played the game for a full hour and it seems to work fine.  I'll be sure to post back when I find out what caused the buffer underrun issues.

UPDATE:
As suspected, padsp is not needed.  I will amend the entry now.

No comments: