Friday, December 23, 2011

Mass Effect 2 Demo and Wine

So I had installed the demo of Mass Effect 2 via Winetricks. The game played rather smoothly except for the lack of sound. I checked Wine's appdb section to see what could be done about it. They gave a good tip that solved some of the issues by running the actual exe file instead of using the Mass Effect 2 launcher. This played the sound but I was getting buffer underrun issues. This made the audio stutter horribly causing the game to run very slowly.

After much research, I had found the basic solution to the problem, which is to set the Wine DirectSound to use 44100Hz default sample rate and 16-bit default bits. For reference, this is what I came up with:

[Software\\Wine\\DirectSound]
"DefaultBitsPerSample"="16"
"DefaultSampleRate"="44100"
"EmulDriver"="N"
"HardwareAcceleration"="Full"

I'm thinking that this could be how I get rid of the scratchy sound issues I get with Sims 3 Teaser but that test is for another day.

No comments: