Thursday, August 6, 2009

Some thoughts of the day with Don King's Prizefighter

I went back to playing Don King's Prizefighter on the DS. At this point, I have totally beaten the game and have moved on so to add a little spice, I decided to played an exhibition match on hard mode using Archibald Moore vs Rocky Marciano on the classic 30s ring. I wanted to put everything as authentic as the game could to present the classic Marciano vs Moore battle and put myself on a real stiff challenge. Marciano on Easy and Medium is a cakewalk but on hard, he is deadly lethal. I really had to fight my heart out to a 12-round unanimous decision. I did not realize I had set the game on twelve rounds so I was really wondering while slugging out with Rocky how long the fight was and boy it was a thrill to get the final round and beat him.

At the opening bell, Rocky hurt me with some real lethal combos and I was in real trouble. I had not put my fighting cap on and that was a real wake up call for me to keep my defenses up. To literally walk into his combinations is not the smartest thing to do so I paced myself and worked on more defense and unloading shots and jabs when it was really open. I could tell at round one I was barely hurting him but I kept on the peppering jabs, focusing on the body mostly. I was able to rest a bit and keep most of lethal powershots at bay. That was survival mode and I survived round one without kissing the canvas.

As it turns out, the judges called the round even. I was surprised when my cornerman called it an even round. We had to work on slowing Rocky down and keep on hitting him when he was open. The plan was to wear him down and have the damage accumulate, focusing on the body combinations more than the head. It was foolish to try and go for the head when there was still a lot of power in his shots. For rounds two to six, this was the approach and I did not deviate from the game plan.

By round seven, I got my first knockdown and I noticed his power punches were getting slower. That was the first real sign for me that Rocky was getting hurt (also the first time I realized the game emulated this). I needed to start pouring in and opening up with the combinations because going in on the defense will allow Rocky to recover. Rocky did get a few hooks and uppercuts in but they did not do as much damage as they did before. I started to balance out my assault on both the body and the head while still maintaining a good defense. Rocky is darn dangerous at any point in the fight if you let him have his day, so do not forget about defense!

I started to get more power combinations in and hurt Rocky more and more. Still, I did not forget to apply defense. Rocky was getting a bit discouraged and frequently bobbed, and weaved instead of throwing his attacks. For rounds nine, ten, and eleven, I had Rocky backed on the ropes for a good half round, hurting him and giving him the time of his life. I finished round eleven with two knockdowns knowing full and well that I had control of the fight and I was way ahead on the scorecards. With round twelve I knew I had it and I sealed the deal with another knockdown.

The score card read Moore - Marciano, 360-302. I racked up a total of six knockdowns. The first few rounds were a bit of a knife's edge as Marciano had some powerful shots. As the fight wore on, it got a bit easier. I have no doubt that on another day, Marciano would probably knock me out. Today though, was my day.

No comments: