Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ubuntu and my Intel Pro Wireless LAN Card

Okay, I have been wondering why my wireless network card refuses to function after a few days and I cannot fix it by rebooting. I've always had to reboot to Vista to sort of give the hardware a little kick. Maybe there is some residue in the hardware buffer of the wireless card, but for whatever reason, it has been testing my patience.

I also happen to remember when I got this laptop new, that Ubuntu did give me frequent problems with the wireless card unable to find my private access point.

This time, I really got pissed because it was again acting up when I really needed the wireless access to be working. So I decided to dig a little bit about the problem.

The laptop I bought is an Acer Aspire 5920g, and apart from the abysmal wireless performance, Ubuntu has been handling this baby pretty well. I even got the Crystal Eye camera to work.

Back to this problem. I did some reading and thankfully, there is a lot of resources from Ubuntu's very own forum. I discovered that my laptop has been running on Intel Pro 4965 AGN wireless card and that the driver Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) had been using was the obsolete ipw3945.

I knew then from past experience with this sucker that I had to discard it and find a new one. Thankfully, the kernel already comes packed with the new (Well, relatively...) iwl4965 driver from Intel.

Ubuntu has a great documentation that I followed to switch over to iwl4965 from that dubious ipw3945 driver. Click here for the online documentation. I just changed it to modprobe iwl4965 instead of iwl3945 and of course, load iwl4965 on /etc/modules.

After the reboot, it seems to be working fine, but so did the last one. I am going to observe how this one operates, and hopefully, this one works better than the last one. If all else fails, I may have to use ndiswrapper, and I do not like using Windows network drivers on Linux.

Anyway, that is all for now and I will report back if this one takes care of the issue.

No comments: