Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Wii, Hardcore gaming system?

This idea just makes my head swirl in pain. How many people have criticized or insert praises on the Wii because of the way it's churning out weird, quirky titles. It's been a year and true that we've seen some weird titles come out. Japan entrant Wii Fit surely signals the strange nature of gaming that we are in today. I've also come across several friends who tell me they don't want the Wii because it's a casual gamer's system. Well, I've got a question along that line.

What is casual? What is hardcore? Where do you draw the line between the two? I certainly don't know any definition that makes a clear division between the two. Let's see, hardcore games must have scantily clad women characters? More focus on story? I certainly cannot see how a casual game cannot benefit from one. What about casual games? What do you say to describe such titles? Are casual games those that are too shallow? I've certainly seen shallow games way before these terms have surfaced.

In my opinion, all these terms are just bollocks. I also blame Nintendo for it. Their marketing has given a focus on games that "broaden the market" and other games from other platform that are only for the "hardcore". In the end,I think this discussion on hardcore vs casual is a pointless one. I certainly cannot segregate each and every title in the universe and say this is casual, this is hardcore and that the Wii has very few titles that cater to the hardcore gamer. All I know is, if you buy a system and you have fun, isn't that all that matters? Enough of the chit-chatter on the casual vs hardcore. We should instead spend time on the games we like and have fun, because all that crap about hardcore and casual just snoozes me.

Another round of that? I'm out!

No comments: